Saturday, February 25, 2012

Rocket Attack Part 3

1/12/2012

There was a rocket attack earlier this week, the same night as trivia night at the British coffee place. It took place early enough in the day that it didn't conflict at all with attending trivia night. On the walk back to our rooms from the British compound, one of the people I was walking with said they had been relieved when trivia night wasn't interrupted at all by the rocket alarm. I had to think, "was that today?". I had been so unconcerned by the rocket attack, that I had forgotten that it even took place.

That's definitely the strangest part about the rockets. Not the fact that they exist, or the sound of explosions in the distance, not the physical danger, but how used to them we all become. I'm rereading what I wrote about rocket attacks back in September/October and it's as though someone else wrote those words.

At Shabbat dinner this past Friday, the alarm went off and nobody even ducked to the ground, (I usually do, but since nobody else was doing it I didn't want to look like a loser). As it turned out the explosion sounded to us louder than average and people regretted not having ducked. They resolved then to always duck, but who knows if they'll stick to it or not?

I don't want to scare people too much so I'll clarify - an explosion can sound extra loud even if it's a mile or more away, especially on a cool clear day as last Friday was.

2/2/2012

Today I and someone else who works at the Education Center happen to be at the COMKAF (basically KAF headquarters) getting approval for some flyers to be put up on the boardwalk. While she was in the office getting these flyers approved I heard from a nearby office the sound of someone over a radio saying "Incoming! Incoming! Incoming!". I figured, hey, wow! I'm right next to where some mission is being carried out over the radio! It wasn't until when we were leaving the building that the rocket alarm went off and I realized that what I was hearing was the process that leads up to the alarm going off. That was a pretty fascinating coincidence.

2/20/2012

A while back, while driving somewhere or another on base we came across some of the more interesting pieces of graffiti art on KAF. It's one of the bunkers painted to look like a quaint little house. Inspecting it more closely led to the discovery of more and more decorations. Apparently someone had gotten bored of staring at the plain concrete inside of the bunker several hours per week and had done something about it. There's plenty of art, a table and benches to sit on inside, and a light switch rigged for night hours spent in the bunker. Enjoy:
Finally! A NAME I can put to some of the artwork around KAF.
For a few more visuals involving the rocket attacks, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment