Friday, August 12, 2011

What do I even do all day part II

Now that I'm downrange and I've gotten all my requisite badges and ids and meal-card and everything, my days are different than they were in Germany and I'm getting some sort of regularity in my day. So it's time to create another post about what it is exactly that I do.

I start my day in module housing. It's a collection of about 150 buildings in a grid pattern. Each building has about six rooms with room for six people in each of them, it looks like four people to a room is common though (you can see, I have a bunk bed). Every module building has a bathroom with real toilets (not port-o-johns) and showers.
This is before I unpacked - it's much neater now.
The room is divided into little cubicle areas like mine with curtains made from blankets strung up between dressers. Also, relatively nearby there is a poo pond where sewage is treated. It smells pretty bad when the prevailing winds do not favor the module housing section of the base. Good thing we have lots of air freshener and glade plug-ins going strong in the room.
This is what the module housing looks like (picture taken at twilight and not indicative of the intense sun here)
I walk about a half mile from the room to the Education Center. This morning (and probably in the future) I stopped at a DFAC to get my to-go breakfast. I arrived for the early shift at work, which is 0700 -1900 so I could call people through skype at my desk where there's internet (once again, no internet in the rooms unless you pay a whole bunch).
My desk and chair.
So I work all day for 12 hours either the early or late shift (late shirt starts at 1000), with breaks for meals and stuff. Soldiers ask me for help with registering their information in the army education system, help finding the information they're looking for regarding testing, etc. Most of the day is pretty quiet and there has been some down-time, but I believe I'll be getting some data-entry tasks that have to be caught up on for the Ed Center, and catching up will take a bit of time. Once that is done it won't be too hard to keep up to date with that data entry (essentially a log has to be created whenever a Service Member is served by the Ed Center).
View over my desk/computer of the Army Learning Center. Soldiers sign in at that podium thing right there and use computers for education purposes. As you can see from the picture, I'm hard at work on this blog. I'm pretty sure this was early morning when computer lab traffic is minimal.
At the end of the workday I stroll back to the room. There are things to do while not working like work-out, and eat and watch tv... slim pickings. I plan on getting into a rhythm of going to the gym on a regular basis, but I'm not quite at that point. Also, on Friday and Saturday evenings there is a Jewish service run by Captain Warren Gross, I haven't mentioned him on this blog yet, but I was put in touch with him by Rabbi Bud Frankel who was a chaplain with the military. Dr. Captain Gross is like an unofficial Jewish Chaplain here. His existence here is a large part of why I felt more confident coming to Kandahar. I got in touch with him and he and his entire family have been very helpful to me and mine. Today and tomorrow I'll be attending the services. More on that later.

Here are some things I see on my way back to the room:
A volleyball game taking place within the perimeter formed by the boardwalk.
View of some of the boardwalk. Maybe I'll visit that barber at some point.
Concrete hockey rink built by the Canadians here at KAF with adjacent side of the boardwalk in background.




And there you have it! That's What I do all day.

1 comment:

  1. Cpt Gross is so sweet! He helped me with my eyes after I had Lasik! I'm glad you got to know him!

    ReplyDelete