Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Heat

No, not that basketball team I can pretend to know a little bit about... I'm talking about the temperature! I'm recently discovering that the first week I was here was a little deviation from the norm temperature-wise here. Normally August is the hottest month here... So I arrived just before the hump. Unseasonably cool weather last week made me feel as though it was going to be manageable.

It's still unseasonably cool here, and now the heat is starting to get to me. This morning I stopped at two different stores between my room and work in order to get in from the heat for a couple minutes in each store. Going to lunch was an ordeal. Now I'm safely sheltered by work's nearly adequate cooling systems (the computer lab heats up when it's full of soldiers running the heat-producing computers) until dinner-time when the sun will be nearly out of sight.

Check out this article about the heat: Article. For most of you who don't convert Celsius to Fahrenheit in your head very easily (me included), the temperatures referred to in the article come damned close to 140 degrees F.
It would be unappetizing because of the dust, but we're talking fry an egg on cement heat.
Thankfully we'll be over the hump soon. With September on the way, I'll be here during the moderate months. I pray to Ganesh that we don't get an Indian summer... get it? Because we're really close to India India... and indian summer... get it? Never mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment