Thursday, October 20, 2011

TGI Friday's

Let's go to TGI Friday's!
There is a Friday's here. I haven't been to every restaurant here yet by any means, but this one has been the best so far. There's a lot to be said for going somewhere that feels like home, and I've never even been to a TGI Fridays in the states. It's basically just like Applebees or Chilis... they're all the same, as far as I can tell: Plenty of flair on the walls, novelty chock-full-of-sugar drinks, and pictures in the menus, which are sometimes used to tell secrets:
Secret menu time.
One wouldn't normally think to take pictures in a TGI Friday's just because it's a TGI Friday's, and one would even less likely think to take pictures of someone taking pictures of someone in a TGI Friday's, but in Afghanistan it's normal. 
Picture within a picture. 
I think I ate too much.
So at KAF, TGI Friday's is the place to go for special occasions. They make a big deal of embarrassing people on their birthdays with a bottle of non-alcoholic champagne. The honoree is forced to stand on a chair and dance around while they sing a birthday song. I'd be embarrassed if it were me. We went to Friday's for Michael Champion's farewell lunch and he got the royal treatment:
"Celebration Drink" I think they called it.
Psychadelic Dancing
I must make it seem like I only eat at restaurants here with all the Tim Horton's and TGI Friday's talk. I've paid for a total of six meals while I've been here for over two months, a huge drop compared to my states-side record. 

No comments:

Post a Comment