Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Tel Aviv Animal Shelter

Much of my second week in Israel was spent staving off boredom as most of the people I was spending time with were consumed with their first week of internships. Invariably, there were several people whose internships had not started yet with whom I spent the majority of my time. One such unemployed person came to me one day with the suggestion that we go "volunteer" at the Tel Aviv Animal Shelter. By volunteer, what I mean is play with an adorable puppy for a while.
Here we are!
The Tel Aviv Animal Shelter (more formally The Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Israel), is exactly what it sounds like. It's a home for abused, or unwanted animals of a seemingly wide variety (mostly dogs). We found the perfect dog to volunteer with. Here he is:
I love dogs though I'm not sure I would make a very good dog owner. Our dog, who we named Rufio was having me rethink that. He was so affectionate!
awwwww.
So what you do is basically take a dog out on a leash in their little courtyard thing that has enough room to walk/run around. There are doggy treats, and some toys to play with - pretty standard dog shelter stuff.

At this point I'd say I've used enough pictures of one thing for one blog post - but he was just so damned cute! I'll have to make an exception. After about a half an hour, another volunteer with another dog came close to us and Rufio barked at them like they were trying to attack us. He was protecting us! At this point we were anticipating some separation anxiety.
I hope Rufio found a good home.

No comments:

Post a Comment