Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

It didn't occur to me until a few weeks into my time here, that I would be in Afghanistan during the 10th anniversary of 9/11. If there was a way to tell little 8th grade Josh Kramer that 10 years later he'd be working with the troops in the war that was started as a result of 9/11 I think he'd probably be surprised.

Anyway there was a concert last night to celebrate and after havdallah in the CMC building me, Warren, Christy, and I went to check out the festivities.
Warren didn't stick around long - he and I were both there mainly for the comedian, only I was willing to wait for him.
The band's name was goldilocks or goldy locks or something like that. They were mostly a cover band and I guess not achieving the fanfare that they were expecting at first. As far as a USO show is concerned I guess it was what I was expecting... lots of we appreciate what you're doing out here (to the troops) and then they played music.
Lots of American flags...
Yet they pulled up an Australian soldier to make a fool of himself dancing on stage.
Hey look there's Benari!
Benari's military experience apparently involves the more peaceful type of shooting.
Have I not mentioned Benari? He works in public affairs for the army. I've told him he needs to work on putting out old school propaganda posters/newsreels in theaters, and I suppose he's working on it. I found out about Benari through his blogpost about meeting Jon Stewart when he came through Afghanistan just before I arrived here. We were wondering why he was missing at Havdallah and now we knew - he was working on this show. I took a few pictures of him taking pictures.
I'd classify this audience as whelmed...
It's not that they were a bad band, it's just that they were a little lesser known and it was hard for me at least to get into it. I'm not much of a concertgoer anyway.
Rock-on Goldilocks.
I say they add a new model to the army men toys. The camera pose!
Then a mosh pit formed.
The one guy really got into it.
Next, the commanders of KAF got up and gave plaques to the touring group and thanked them. Turns out another part of observing 9/11 involves the company that owns outback steakhouse sending dozens of chefs and providing steaks and bloomin onions to the troops. So representatives from those companies and the chefs came out and were recognized.

Finally it was time for the comedy relief. Andy Hendrickson? Yeah I hadn't heard of him either but they can't all be Bob Hope. He was pretty good, considering. I did laugh a bunch...
Of course he made a poo pond joke.
After a slight break, goldy locks came out for a second set and I was done and ready for bed.
Here's what it looked like from another part of the boardwalk.
Now, I'm not complaining about the steak and bloomin onion I had for dinner today, but I was surprised overall by the way 9/11 was commemorated here. Granted, there was a candle lighting ceremony over at the USO tent today, for most of the day as I understand it, but steaks and music? Hardly a mention of 9/11 at that concert? In the states I know there were ceremonies all over. What I had expected when I realized I'd be here for 9/11 was a solemn gathering with speeches from military leaders, a moment of silence and maybe some 9/11 inspired country music of which there was a lot. Instead we got "Sweet Home Alabama" and jokes about not enjoying reading... surprising.

No comments:

Post a Comment